[squeak-dev] Survey: what do you do with Squeak, what do you *want* to do?

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Sat Apr 28 13:49:27 UTC 2018

Nicolas Cellier wrote
> The growing gap with Pharo is not helping and is really annoying me

+1 but what can be done? The divergence is more and more fundamental e.g.
namespaces are only available on Squeak, stateful Traits/real packages
(RPackage) only on Pharo. For a time, I tried to sync all my projects
between the two, but the effort is exponential, and it wasn't even clear if
there would be users…

The only (unrealistic) solution that ever came to my mind would be a
reunification - why (besides politically and due to personalities) do cuis,
pharo, and squeak have to be independent projects? Now that Pharo is
bootstrapped, couldn't the energy of Cuis to have a small, clean system be
poured into that effort? Could Squeak be a layer on top with all the cool
stuff reimplemented. Well, it's a dream, but maybe fragmentation is just the
way of the world/human beings…

-----
Cheers,
Sean