[squeak-dev] Survey: what do you do with Squeak, what do you *want* to do?

karl ramberg karlramberg at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 08:47:52 UTC 2018

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 2:36 AM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> At the latest board meeting we got to discussing the relative quietness of
> the squeak list(s) recently. We were wondering what you folks out there are
> doing with Squeak, what you'd like to be able to use it for, the things
> that you think would be important to improve it for wider use and so on.
>
> Please, whether you're a frequent user or an occasional look-at-the-list
> type, take a moment to let us know your opinions.

What do you use Squeak for?

Hi,
I have been using Squeak on and off since around year 2000.
I use Squeak as a personal development and recreational computing platform.
Mostly I think of stuff I find interesting and start to hack together
project in either Etoys or
in Morphic. Along the way in those projects I find and fix bugs and get
totally sidetracked from
my original intention. But it's all good fun and I enjoy it immensely when
I track down issues and get them fixed

Once I learned the basic of Squeak development I found most other
development environments lacking
and arcane. The bad thing is that I have never really hooked Squeak up to
the outside of the image to interact
with other languages. I don't really know how to even start doing that.

> If you don't use Squeak, why not?

There are many rough edges in the tools in Squeak. Like in the drawing
tools and the sound tools.
I think it's mostly because the scope of all the tools are so huge and that
there are only a few developers and
users, Not enough people to fix all issues.
Specialized tools have a huge advantage that are impossible for a general
platform like Squeak to keep up with.
But to at all be able to do mostly what I want in Squeak is satisfying and
I can dig into the source and read what
the developers did to make stuff work quite easily.

> If you used Squeak in the past and don't now, what pulled you away?

I use Squeak for recreation and not for business. When I have time and feel
the need to scratch an itch I come back to
Squeak.

> What does Squeak lack that you think might make you use it for 'regular'
> development?

There are so many thing that are easy and convenient to do once I am in the
Squeak tools so I have never
gone into using stuff from other languages through stuff like FFI.

> What things are too hard or annoying to do?

Dependencies on obscure preferences, cruft and user habits make
changes cumbersome for many of the parts of Squeak.

What would you like to be able to use Squeak for?

All personal computing and tinkering projects I do.
And it already does most of that.

Best,
Karl