[squeak-dev] Documentation

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 17:31:55 UTC 2018

Hi Chris,

> On Aug 18, 2018, at 10:12 AM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> We've had PackageInfo for eons which I've subclassed in my own apps
> forever to override several documentative as well as functional
> methods in there.  But there was never any interest (in fact,
> resistance!) in doing that in this community.  Glad to see y'all finally
> opening up to the idea, but I see no reason to have a "PackageInfo"
> AND a "PackageModel".

Doh!  Of course.  Forgive me.  So per-package subclasses of PackageInfo or extent PackageInfo and store instances?  I expect using the class will be less problematic.

> But do we REALLY want to bloat image memory with a bunch of
> "documentation" that no one will ever read and will be out of date
> within one release?  We can't keep our existing documentation (wiki,
> etc.) updated, I'd suggest seeing if we can actually commit to
> cleaning that up before harming the image with new kinds of
> documentation.

The thing is about a per package class is that it’s not separate and is easy to keep up to date.  If there’s good tool support (eg a help browser like system for organizing documentation & examples) then there’s incentive to keep it up to date.

And these things should be trivial too strip for deployment if one wants.