[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Tools-LM.827.mcz

Tim Johnson digit at sonic.net
Wed Aug 29 14:46:17 UTC 2018

Hi,

I have seen all the follow-up on this thread, so I understand that the preference was found and this commit was retracted.  However, I just want to register myself as someone who uses Workspaces for more than just code.  I keep TODOs there, notes, and snippets of external data formats.

I did dig into making a more plaintext-only or styled-text-only editing space in Squeak a few months back and posted a long description of my experiences.  The main takeaway (without specifics, meaning I will probably mis-state in this email) was that it seems there has been some … cross-pollination (?) … between general-purpose text editing classes and code-oriented text editing classes over Squeak’s lifetime.  To me, it looked like a number of code-oriented extensions were added to non-code-specific classes at one point, and this seemed to expose different philosophies and open deep questions on this mailing list.  :)

Anyway, I fear I may be hijacking this thread a bit.  Maybe I should dig up that old message I wrote and turn it into a Swiki page.

Thanks,
Tim