[squeak-dev] Proof-of-concept: moving Smalltalk code editing support into SmalltalkEditor

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Wed Aug 29 21:37:00 UTC 2018

auto-enclose is one of those things that relates to how one types and the present circumstances of work. I find it utterly infuriating; Chris finds it essential. Being able to select some text and enclose it with my choice of delimiter is essential to me - but having the automatic doubling of a delimiter whether I actually need it or not is just a bad match for my usage.

It's a similar thing with the code styling. I really don't like automagic styling as done by Shout a great deal (but it's much less annoying now that Cog runs on Pi, since a non-trivial part of the irritation was the way it really slowed down the old VMs). I might like it more if it were also  doing some of the pretty-printing format regularisation BUT I really suspect that 'physically' moving your typing around as you go would be annoying. Also, I'd probably like it a bit more if the styling cues were a little more visible to aging eyes.

auto-indent actually seems to work ok for my usage but I imagine it might be something that could work with a styler to help keep formatting nice.

I fear editor choices is just one of those things that somehow gloms onto the same parts of the brain that religionism attacks.

tim
All new: The software is not compatible with previous versions.