[squeak-dev] Dynabook and flipped classroom

Ron Teitelbaum ron at usmedrec.com
Thu Aug 30 15:47:29 UTC 2018

 Hi Hilaire,

Nice write up on the flipped classroom.  Thinking about video there are a
few things that come to mind.  First, video is not easily searchable.  With
the ability to easily caption and index video now it would make sense to
allow users to jump from place to place on the video by clicking on the
transcript.  That would make it easier to read the content (which is much
faster) after you have watched the video.  It would also be nice if you
could annotate the video by adding your own highlights and notes to the
transcript.  This takes video and converts it to something that is much
more active.  For me video is great but only the first time.  Once you have
seen the video it becomes a time sink if you ever need to reference it
since you really don't want to watch it all over again but you may want to
gather details or re-watch something you didn't understand.  That's when
text takes over and become a much more useful medium.  So highlighting a
video transcript and being able to watch just what is highlighted and see
your notes at the same time would be very useful.

The concept of a flipped classroom raises some issues I've seen.  Distance
education is really difficult and is a bit of an analog for a flipped
classroom.  When you are trying to teach people using media alone the
amount of time and effort required to produce the content is, I'm told,
much like the effort required to write a book.  The benefits of consistent
delivery of information need to be weighed against the efficiency of
discussing the material and being able to gauge how much is being
understood and leaving the detailed information for later study (by
interested students).  The live interaction is what our software "Immersive
Terf" adds to distance learning.

The risk I see is that it is very difficult to produce material that covers
all the aspects that would be required for everyone without losing the
interest of those that already have a background in the material by putting
in too much, or flying over the heads of students by leaving things out.
Having the interaction between students and teachers is critical so I'm not
sure how efficient it would be to push the learning to home assignments.

I've always thought that it works best to film some content, for consistent
delivery, up to about 5 minutes, then immediately move to Q&A, then have
users break out to discussion groups.  This model of learning, questioning,
and discussing is very powerful when done in an interactive setting.
Breaking out the learning portion to a solitary activity seems wrong.
Leaving the solitary time for reinforcement and detailed analysis makes
more sense.  I guess what I'm saying is that if as a student we have time
alone that time is best spent reviewing what was learned, working on
projects applying what was learned to be presented back to the class for
discussions, or expanding on what was learned by reading or exploring the
fine details that may have been skipped in class.

I'm not saying this is best for all people since everyone does seem to
learn in quite different ways.  In many ways, students do benefit from
trying to figure something out for themselves.  The questions become much
more relevant, they seem to learn at a much deeper level because of the
effort required to "figure it out".  The issue in my mind is that these
motivated students are going to learn no matter what you do.  Even without
prodding them in a structured way they are going to come to class much
better informed than their peers.  Non-motivated students will come to
class saying "I TRIED to learn the material but I didn't understand it".

This, of course, brings up the question is Dynabook intended to support a
motivated student to learn and explore information or to help improve the
ability of non-motivated students to learn?  Maybe both?

Thanks again for sharing your posts.