[squeak-dev] minor errors in tests during socket timeouts

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Sun Dec 30 11:47:41 UTC 2018

An Opensmalltalk-vm Travis build job
    https://travis-ci.org/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/jobs/473535608
looks like it failed with a socket error, probably external network.
A bundle of failures look like this...

  SocketStreamTest

  7041f6_0fb1
   ✗ #testClassComment (10003ms)
  TestFailure: Test timed out
  Process>>pvtSignal:list:
  [] in DelayWaitTimeout>>wait
  <snip>

which is okay, but the following three with similar >10000ms timeout
did not produce "TestFailure: Test timed out "
but instead "MessageNotUnderstood" errors.

  StringSocketTestCase

  c43ad5_0fb1
   ✗ #testBasics (10001ms)
  MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>destroy
  UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #destroy
  StringSocketTestCase>>tearDown

  e360b0_0fb1
   ✗ #testBogusInput1 (10000ms)
  MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>destroy
  UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #destroy
  StringSocketTestCase>>tearDown

  e4f711_0fb1
   ✗ #testBogusInput2 (10002ms)
  MessageNotUnderstood: UndefinedObject>>destroy
  UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #destroy
  StringSocketTestCase>>tearDown

I'm not currently running Squeak, so I'm just reporting was I see in the CI
log
in case anyone was interested in touching-up such a corner case.
Is it preferable to report on Mantis? Or not important :)

cheers -ben