[squeak-dev] OSVM pre-release 201802061430 ready to be tested

Chris Cunnington brasspen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 02:07:58 UTC 2018

I install Colin Putney’s Altitude web framework. It uses Xtreams. Using squeak.sista.spur_[ macos | linux ]32x86_201802061430
I get this error trying to use Xtreams.

XTLibCryptoHash>>#EVP_MD_CTX_init: ctx
	<cdecl: void 'EVP_MD_CTX_init' (XTEVPMDCTX*) module: 'libcrypto'>
	^self externalCallFailed

This is a known problem to me. XTLibCryptoHash wants to find and use libcrypto on Mac or Linux.
This error is saying it cannot find libcrypto. On Mac [1] it didn’t used to be a problem. On Linux if I ensure there is a libcrypto (usually 32bit) and then create a symbolic link from the vm directory, then I can ensure this error doesn’t appear.

My laptop uses High Sierra 10.13.3 and CogSpur 5.0 5.0.3427 (Aug 22 2015) and it finds libcrypto just fine.
The vms I just downloaded (see first line) throw the error on my Mac desktop (also using HighSierra 10.13.3).

The error is the same on Linux ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I’m more inclined to solve this problem on Linux, because I’ve done it before.
On a Mac, I’m pretty much just going to leave it be, because I don’t know what’s up.

Of course this may be because of the FFI I’ve loaded, which is below. [2]

I’m sure vm makers are not responsible for everybodys' use cases. I thought I’d just throw this out there.
I will say that anybody using Xtreams in future and wants to use the Xtreams-Xtras package, they’ll encounter the same problem.
I’ve been looking at this problem for years, so it’s neither new nor urgent. It’s kind of interesting, though. It’s taught me a few things.

FWIW,
Chris

[1] HighSierra 10.13.3

Chriss-Mac-mini:~ ooplu$ locate libcrypto
/usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.7.dylib
/usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib
/usr/lib/libcrypto.35.dylib
/usr/lib/libcrypto.41.dylib