[squeak-dev] Survey: what do you do with Squeak, what do you *want* to do?

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 12:13:26 UTC 2018

On Thursday 22 February 2018 07:06 AM, tim Rowledge wrote:
> Please, whether you're a frequent user or an occasional look-at-the-list type, take a moment to let us know your opinions.
>
> What do you use Squeak for?

Squeak is a hobby for me, not a work platform. I use it as "idea"
processor (analogous to a word processor for text) for exploring ideas
in programming and inspire students. My own professional interest is in
the recursive decomposition of object machines.

I created LaTeXMorph to help children and teachers learn LaTeX on Linux
laptops through live coding. I also helped localize Etoys to Kannada
language (for OLPC) and helped an art teacher in France to translate
their wiki into English for a wider reach.

> If you don't use Squeak, why not?

I continue to use Squeak, but students find it difficult to integrate
VMs and images on Linux. Squeak also does not work well with vector
graphics (openGL) and audio drivers on Linux.

> If you used Squeak in the past and don't now, what pulled you away?

N/A. Squeak community may be small, but the discussions are very
enlightening and thought-provoking.

> What does Squeak lack that you think might make you use it for 'regular' development?

Built-in NetMorph. It is about time objects became network-aware.

Better inspection tools (e.g. display pictures for bitmaps etc.)

Be able to embed Squeak into another program, say like

   void *squeak(void *image, int argc, char *argv[], char *environ[])

Spawn a new Squeak session with a new image created on the fly bypassing
the filesystem.

Concurrent processes to exploit multi-core hosts.

Proper reification of host facilities (VM, object memory, ...). Taking
the idea of turtles all the way down.

Simpler File I/O like in Pharo.

Be able to build binaries on host from within Squeak without having to
go through Slang.

> What things are too hard or annoying to do?

Launcher should be able to pick the right VM for a given image and
launch it.

Create and integrate plugins out of source tree. This is important for
working on embedded boards like RPi. This is more of a VM issue than
Squeak (image), but it does impact Squeak.

> What would you like to be able to use Squeak for?

Processing ideas through live programming. It is really an excellent
platform to teach/learn programming concepts before moving onto
languages like C, Python, Java etc.

Squeak 3.8 may have grainy fonts but it was a WOW! in regards to live
programming. Later versions improved on the look and ease but don't have
the same level of WOW.

Regards .. Subbu