[squeak-dev] SerialPort question regarding port names

Ricardo Moran richi.moran at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 17:40:00 UTC 2018

Hi,

For a while I've been using an old version of Squeak so recently I decided
to update and I downloaded Squeak 5.1.
First of all, let me tell you I really like what you have done. I haven't
been following the list too much lately so I'm only scratching the surface
but this new Squeak looks and feels *really* nice. And most of my
preferences are already set by default so I don't have to mess around with
the settings too much. Really nice work, thank you.

One thing I noticed while I was playing with the SerialPort is that it
doesn't work if I refer to the ports by name (I'm using Windows 10, by the
way). This used to work in the old VM so I looked in the source code and it
seems the primitives that allow to use port names are only compiled for
Pharo:
https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/blob/9d39149b257141914497d9c7454e3a2ce6193ec8/src/plugins/SerialPlugin/SerialPlugin.c#L41

So I downloaded the PharoVM and indeed the SerialPort works fine with port
names. Is there a reason for this or is it just a bug?

Thanks,
Richo