[squeak-dev] Updating the bits of a window

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Jan 15 21:17:04 UTC 2018

Hi Tim,

On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 10:41 AM, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:

> For something that cpu intensive how about sticking a deliberate yield in
> the cycle somewhere so the rest of the system can do some work? That would
> help provide some chance of catching an interrupt key, something I faintly
> recall being a bit of a pain under the sim.
>
> Perhaps a yield in the sim code for the process check?

The right place is in ioForceDisplayUpdate, which in the simulator is a
no-op, but is called in all the right places (after deferDisplayUpdates is
reset for example).

> The classic simple approach is #doOneCycle, assuming morphic is in use. If
> you want to get all low-level and brutal you could use
> DisplayScreen>>#forceToScreen I guess.

So what I don't see is why doOneCycle is the right call.  That advances the
animation clock, whereas what I want to do is simply ensure that a form
submorph in a window appears on screen.  I'm happy to use doOneCycle if
that's the right thing but reading the code it seems to have far more
effects than I want.

tim
> --
> Useful random insult:- Thinks "Private Enterprise" means owning a personal
> starship.

best, Eliot