[squeak-dev] source.squeak.org --- Responsiveness

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 21:26:37 UTC 2018

Hi All,

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 11:10 PM, Marcel Taeumel <marcel.taeumel at hpi.de>
wrote:

> Hi, there.
>
> Since several weeks/months now, I cannot update a single package without
> either getting a gateway error or a connection timeout. Luckily, the
> timeout means that the code update was at least completed, which I can
> observe in my email inbox.
>
> What's going on there?! That used to work fine. Timeouts were rare.
> Gateway errors non-existent.

I think the main problem is that the server is unresponsive while it
generates the diff email to send to the mailing lists.  I say this because
committing VMMaker.oscog, a huge package, always times out, and the server
can be unresponsive thereafter for many minutes, whereas committing the Cog
package to the very same repository, which is far smaller, does not cause a
timeout.  f course it could be storing the package to the file system, but
I doubt that very much.

So I think we need to rewrite the server to move the computation of and
mailing of the diff to a lower priority, so that answering and receiving
versions gets priority over reporting changes to the mailing list.  Ion the
case of VMMaker.oscog the diff often gets thrown away anyway because it is
often very large.

I'm not familiar with the packages that implement the server, nor what the
development, testing and installation process is, but I'd love to pair with
someone on fixing the responsiveness issue and learn.

Best,
> Marcel

best, Eliot