[squeak-dev] An idea for the debugger...

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 17:36:11 UTC 2018

Hi All,

    I'm lazy and also I don't write the most elegant UI code but I had an
idea I want realized so I thought I'd see if I could interest anyone in
implementing it.  Dora is doing amazing work with the Moldable Debugger but
this is a poor man's alternative that can get us a lot of benefit.

In the JIT I find myself wanting to run a number of doit while debugging to
print out information, change virtual breakpoint locations (where a
variable is tested and if the JIT is at the right point halt is sent)
 etc.  Typically one has to type these into the receiver inspector in the
bottom left of the debugger.  Having some strings in the paste buffer helps
in not typing them but one has to load the paste buffer at least once
before a debugging session and its tedious.

I modified the inspectors in VMMaker already so that one can choose the
default base used to display numbers because hexadecimal is much more
useful in looking at machine code, the GC, object headers, etc.  So how
about this...

A class may implement something like receiverMenuForDebugging, either on
the instance or the class side.  Whenever the receiver inspector is asked
to open up the yellow/middle button menu on its list it checks for the
presence of receiverMenuForDebugging and adds this as a submenu being the
first item in the menu.  So one can write all the application specific
snippets one wants and invoke them quickly and conveniently from this menu.

Anyone interested in implementing this?  It would make my day, hell it
would make my month, and make my year so much nicer :-).

best, Eliot