[squeak-dev] Running Squeak on Chrome OS

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 05:13:29 UTC 2018

Hi Ralph,

> On Jan 27, 2018, at 8:23 PM, Ralph Boland <rpboland at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am writing in Squeak some software for teaching (mostly math) to
> kids (ages 4-10).
> These kids and their schools often have chrome OS based computers.
> So it would be great if my software can run on these machines.
>
> So I would like to know the status of Squeak (and perhaps Pharo) in terms of
> running on  chrome OS.

Looking at the Wikipedia page it looks hopeful. Chrome OS is a Linux variant that runs on x86 and ARMv7 hardware.  The Cog JIT VM should run on that configuration.  But I don't know if anyone has tried it.

Building my the VM should be straight forward on an x86 or ARMv7 Linux.  If you check out the opensmalltalk-vm read build.linux32x86/HowToBuild and build.linux32ARMv7/HowToBuild and see how you get on.

> Also, I would be able to take advantage of the touch screen these devices have.
>
> Where is Squeak in terms of using touch screens?

I don't know where the image is but do know that the VM does pass up touch events.  He Geo is touch based and IIRC it runs on Pharo on iPhone (& perhaps elsewhere).