[squeak-dev] Running Squeak on Chrome OS

Fabio Niephaus lists at fniephaus.com
Sun Jan 28 08:54:07 UTC 2018

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 at 6:13 am, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Ralph,
>
> > On Jan 27, 2018, at 8:23 PM, Ralph Boland <rpboland at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am writing in Squeak some software for teaching (mostly math) to
> > kids (ages 4-10).
> > These kids and their schools often have chrome OS based computers.
> > So it would be great if my software can run on these machines.
> >
> > So I would like to know the status of Squeak (and perhaps Pharo) in
> terms of
> > running on  chrome OS.
>
> Looking at the Wikipedia page it looks hopeful. Chrome OS is a Linux
> variant that runs on x86 and ARMv7 hardware.  The Cog JIT VM should run on
> that configuration.  But I don't know if anyone has tried it.

Chrome OS primarily supports web apps and I would be surprised if you can
run arbitrary binaries without rooting it.
You might want to check out https://goo.gl/PP6ARW and https://goo.gl/1NNMSS
.
SqueakJS does support touch events but maps them to mouse events, so fancy
touch interactions aren't supported yet.

Hope this helps,
Fabio