[squeak-dev] This is the Help System failure...

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 05:52:17 UTC 2018

An example of a problem (mentioned in my previous mail).

1) I updated a my working image -> the HelpBrowser error occured.

2) I updated my working image again, the note was

         Bypass Collections.kks.801.mcz for now because it leads to a problem
         opening the help browser.

--> The HelpBrowser error was still there. So it seems that I have
actually downloaded that Collections.kks.801.mcz which causes
problems. Which people who update later bypass.

I had to fix the issue manually. Because of the discussion in this
list it was easy to do. But out of context it would have been hard.

I agree with David that rewriting the history is risky.

Chris, I think your concern is the number of files which are
downloaded. That is indeed an issue. But it is not solved by having a
few less here and there. Because an incident like this HelpBrowser
breakage is comparatively rare.

The issues is for example that a new Morphic...mcz is big. For every
small change. Etoys for example could be split into different packages
thus reducing the download size.

Or even find a new way of just downloading a change set extracted from
the mcz instead of sending the whole mcz.

Returning to the main point of this thread and to sum up:

I would welcome if an updated version of the change which caused the
problems could be included as it is a good thing to fix.

--Hannes