[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Kernel-eem.1187.mcz
commits at source.squeak.org
commits at source.squeak.org
Sat Jul 28 19:43:17 UTC 2018
Eliot Miranda uploaded a new version of Kernel to project The Trunk:
==================== Summary ====================
Time: 28 July 2018, 12:42:56.673965 pm
Bring Process's class comment up to date.
=============== Diff against Kernel-eem.1186 ===============
Item was changed:
Link subclass: #Process
instanceVariableNames: 'suspendedContext priority myList threadId effectiveProcess name island env'
+ !Process commentStamp: 'eem 7/28/2018 12:42' prior: 0!
+ I represent an independent path of control in the system. This path of control may be stopped (by sending the message suspend) in such a way that it can later be restarted (by sending the message resume). When any one of several paths of control can be advanced, the single instance of ProcessorScheduler named Processor determines which one will actually be advanced, partly using the value of priority.
- !Process commentStamp: 'ul 3/22/2011 05:18' prior: 0!
- I represent an independent path of control in the system. This path of control may be stopped (by sending the message suspend) in such a way that it can later be restarted (by sending the message resume). When any one of several paths of control can be advanced, the single instance of ProcessorScheduler named Processor determines which one will actually be advanced partly using the value of priority.
+ Instance Variables: N.B. The first four are used by the virtual machine. They must be defined, and defined in this order,
+ suspendedContext: <Context|nil>
+ priority: <Integer>
+ myList: <LinkedList|nil>
+ threadId: <Integer|nil>
+ effectiveProcess: <Process|nil>
+ name: <String|nil>
+ island: <Island|nil>
+ env: <Dictionary|nil>
- (If anyone ever makes a subclass of Process, be sure to use allSubInstances in anyProcessesAbove:.)
+ - if not nil effectiveProcess is the process the receiver is running on behalf of. Used by the execution smulation machinery (used by the debugger) to ensure that Processor activeProcess et al answer the expected result when simulating execution (e.g. when debugging). See evaluate:onBehalfOf: and senders.
- The threadId variable is used by multi-threaded CogVMs to control process-to-thread binding. It's required to be the fourth instance variable. See SmalltalkImage >> #processHasThreadIdInstVar: for further information.
+ - if not nil this is a Dictionary providing process-specific variables. See e.g. environmentAt:*, DynamicVariable and ProcessSpecificVariable.
+ - used by Tweak and Croquet to partition the image into multiple address spaces
+ - if nil, the receiver is either suspended or the active process. If not nil it is either some condition variable (Semaphore, Mutex) that the receiver is blocked waiting on, or it is the LinkedList in ProcessorScheduler quiescentProcesses that holds the processes for the receiver's priority that are not the current active process but are still runnable.
+ - if not nil this is the name of the process, used for information, see e.g. the names of processes displayed in the ProcessBrowser
+ - the priority of the process, which corresponds to the index in ProcessorScheduler quiescentProcesses that holds the LinkedList of processes at this priority. If running but quiescent, changing priority involves changing priority and myList.
+ - if nil, then the receiver is either the active process or has been terminated. If not nil it is the Context at the hot end of the receiver's stack
+ - if not nil then the receiver is bound to some native thread and the VM will ensure that when executing the receiver, the VM will be running on that native thread. Set by the VM. Not to be set manually. Meaningful only on threaded VMs (which do not mean VMs with a threaded heartbeat). It is required to be the fourth instance variable. See SmalltalkImage >> #processHasThreadIdInstVar: for further information.!
- The island and env instance variables are not used by core squeak, but are used by external packages and included here because Monticello cannot handle external instance variables:
- island: used by Tweak and Croquet to partition the image into multiple address spaces
- env: used by ProcessSpecific to implement per-process variables!
More information about the Squeak-dev