[squeak-dev] All-In-One distribution (was: Changing the Trunk version from 6.0alpha to 5.2alpha)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jun 1 12:33:06 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jun 01, 2018 at 12:50:08AM -0700, John Pfersich wrote:
> No, with Pharo, I copy the files to subdirectories of my home folder and run without the problems I have with Squeak. I have dozens of images. But then again, Smalltalk is a hobby; I haven???t had an offer for Smalltalk work since 2005.

John,

What you describe is exactly how I work with Squeak. VMs are installed
system wide (on my small Linux laptop "system"). Images are in directories
in my home directory, with many separate directories for various Squeak
things (including some very old images), as well as directories for Cuis
and Pharo images. I use a /usr/local/bin/run shell script to find the
right VM based on image type, so for example if I want to run an image
called "cuis.image" in my Cuis directory, the command is:

  $ run cuis

I rarely use the All-In-One, but I can see that it is very important
for some people in their daily use, and it is also very important for
classrooms and for making Squeak easily downloadable for people who
would like to just download and easily try it. So I think that the
"download and run" packages are important, even though I personally
prefer to work in the way that you describe.

As with you, Smalltalk is a hobby for me.

Dave