[squeak-dev] what's the plan for Etoys in trunk?

timfelgentreff at gmail.com timfelgentreff at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 09:09:16 UTC 2018

Hi all,

making sure we get the deprecated sends out of the Etoys code and renaming and/or moving some of the
classes is surely necessary. Etoys should also, I guess, be split into multiple packages so that not
all games and extras are mashed together with the core functionality.

However, during the merge we took extreme care not to replace classes or methods outright and we
manually went through hundreds of methods to manually categorize and merge them in a way that would
keep unloading working as much as it did before.

Etoys unload works in a 5.2 image exactly as well as it did in 5.0, before the merge. Even in a 5.0
image before the merge, unloading Etoys removes some important methods (e.g.
Morph>>#rotationCenter:) that are send to all morphs from code in Morphic-Kernel and thus (unless
you are *extremely* careful), you'll end up in the emergency evaluator after a while.

Just reverting the merge won't help you, even then you'll have to go through and actually fix all
those arguably mis-categorized methods and classes to get Etoys to unload cleanly.

Just for the heck of it, I went ahead and moved *only* Morph>>rotationCenter and
Morph>>rotationCenter: into the `geometry` category (from *Etoys-geometry). After that, and unload
of the Etoys packages leaves you with a mostly working image. If you open the PartsBin, you'll get a
few more DNUs, but after moving a few more methods (scale, positionInWorld), the PartsBin also
works, now without all the Etoys stuff.

cheers,
Tim