[squeak-dev] Unable to finish running tests on current trunk

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 21:19:28 UTC 2018

Hi Chris,

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 8:34 PM, Chris Cunningham <cunningham.cb at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I was running the full test suite (which takes a LONG time), and it
> encountered a #halt in Decompiler>>pushTemporaryVariable:
>
> When trying to figure out where this was, it appears to be in
> DecompilerTests>>testDecompilerInClassesCNtoCZ.
>
> Appears to be because the image is now borked - unusuable.  Any attempt to
> browse one of those classes or methods throws an error about the change
> file failing (primGetPosition: failed).
>
> Is this related to the "don't log changes while tests are running"?  Or
> something else.

Something else.  It is due to some serious bugs with the full block support
that we get with the SistaV1 bytecode set. Full block support implies that
blocks are now their own methods, rather than sequences of byte codes and
literals embedded in the enclosing compiled method.  I can see a problem in
the Decompiler (the halt in Decompiler>>pushTemporaryVariable:) but also a
possibly related issue in the debugger where stepping within a full block
doesn't highlight the pc correctly.  I'll be looking at these over the next
few days (I have a priority that I'll have to squeeze this along side).

> Also, based on that test name, is it really and truely going through every
> class in the image an decompiling them?

Damn right ;-)

Thanks,
> cbc