[squeak-dev] LanguageEnvironment

Tim Johnson digit at sonic.net
Sun Jun 17 16:48:29 UTC 2018

Hi Eliot,

On Jun 13, 2018, at 9:49 AM, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> Hi All,
>
>     in reviewing the tests given recent work leading up to the 5.2 release I see an error in LangEnvBugs>>testIsFontAvailable.

Thanks for bringing this up.  I noticed this one too and spent an hour or two working on it but never sent along my changes... maybe because I had some of the same questions.

> This is the phrase:
>
>     (LanguageEnvironment localeID: 'en' ) isFontAvailable
>
> But LanguageEnvironment class>>#localeID: expects a LocaleID as argument.  So is the fix to rewrite the test to use
>
> [...]
>
> ?

Yes, I think so.  That meshes with the other users of this system within the image.

> And given that
>     self ensureInternetConnectionTo: 'http://metatoys.org/pub/'.
> fails and
> curl http://metatoys.com/pub
> <h2>Object moved to <a href="https://www.hugedomains.com/domain_profile.cfm?d=metatoys&e=com">here</a>.</h2>
>
> shouldn't LocaleTest>>#testIsFontAvailable be n expected failure?

Good call.  It seems that without this URL being live on the internet, the remote-font-loading-for-locale-switching won't work (Locale class>>#switchAndInstallFontToID:gently:)

We can change the URL to https://web.archive.org/web/20161219105306/http://metatoys.org:80/pub/

...or provide the necessary files on files.squeak.org.

We can also rewrite the test so it does not hardcode the URL but rather takes its URL from LanguageEnvironment>>#fontDownloadUrls

However, I have to ask:  was this remote-font-loading system affected by the font system refurbishment during the Squeak license change?  Is this remote-font-loading-for-locale-switching system still relevant?

Thanks,
Tim