[squeak-dev] MC Merge browser: 'Accept same source' button considered harmful

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 17:42:05 UTC 2018

I now understand the scenario you're thinking of -- Etoys had a lot of
same-source-different-timestamps methods, and they wanted to preserve
the timestamps in Squeak.  That's fine, except it's possible Etoys
might have had the earlier version in some cases -- I'm thinking about
how many "sd 2006"'s we may still have...

The scenario I was thinking of, the _local_ version is the reformatted
one, while the one being merged is the original.  For example, someone
puts a "self halt" in a method, then removes it instead of reverts the
method.  Then, they update from trunk and get a conflict on that
method.  In that scenario, that button is doing exactly the wrong
thing.

The more appropriate place to handle this issue is on the Save MC
Version panel (because we self review every change of every commit,
right?   :)  ).  That's where we already see the "same source
different timestamps" and can easily revert them right there with
Command+x.  Only the reviewer has sufficient context to know which
version to to choose, this button cannot possibly relieve one of that
responsibility.  If no one objects, I'd like to remove it.

 - Chris