[squeak-dev] Fwd: ServerDirectory example login is dead

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2005 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 09:29:45 UTC 2018

About this, I share my experiments.
On my squeakros.org site if I select the right user and pass I use in
Cyberduck , get tons of complains.

If I use a old trick like:

In a older .image which works well with servers do

ServerDirectory servers inspect.

In the code panel do
self saveOnFile , "use servers.obj as name"

In 5.2 or any Squeak:

| inputStream anObject | inputStream _ FileStream oldFileNamed:
'servers.obj'. anObject _ inputStream fileInObjectAndCode. inputStream
close. (Inspector openAsMorphOn: anObject) openInHand

 ServerDirectory serversFrom: self!

This works with same problems Dave report

Edgar
@morplenauta

On 24/06/2018, 11:59, "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> After googling for "public anonymous ftp servers", I tried this in the
> workspace
that pops up from the add server... menu selection in a file
> list:

 | aa |
 self flag: #ViolateNonReferenceToOtherClasses.
 aa :=
> ServerDirectory new.
 aa server: 'speedtest.tele2.net'.    "host"
 aa user:
> 'anonymous'.
 aa password: 'yourEmail at school.edu'.
 aa directory: '/'.
 aa
> url: ''.    "<- this is optional.  Only used when *writing* update
> files."
 ServerDirectory addServer: aa named: 'Tele2 speed test'.  "<- known
> by this name in Squeak"

It works, but it quickly exposes problems in the
> RemoteServer, so I'm
not sure that fixing the FileList example server before
> the 5.2 release
would be a good thing to do. Maybe better to leave it pointing
> to the old
st.cs.uiuc.edu for now, at least that way people will not be
> expecting
too much from it.

Nowadays, I think people would be more likely to
> use http for file serving
rather that ftp. But have a look at
> HTTPServerDirectory, and you can see
that some cleanups are in order. It looks
> like somebody intended to do this
back in 2001 and did not get too far with
> it. This would be a good project
for someone to take on in the coming months:
> refactor the ServerDirectory
hierarchy, keeping the SuperSwikiServer part
> functional, and making
HTTPServerDirectoy into somthing real.

For the record,
> bugs that I quickly noticed when adding the speedtest.tele2.net
server to to a
> FileList:

- The file list does not get updated to show the new server. Open a
> new
file list and the server will be there, but it will not appear in
> the
original file list from which it was created.

- Likewise, when the server
> is removed, the file list is not updated.

- Files in in remote directory can
> be selected, but many of the selections
result in a protocol error. For
> example, selecting the 500MB.zip file in
the FileList results in a
> TelnetProtocolError.

- If I select the 1KB.zip file, and click the 'open zip'
> button, I
get a FileDoesNotExistException.

Dave