[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Tools-cmm.823.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 23:46:21 UTC 2018

Hi Eliot,

Your hack is safe and still working as implemented.  My change is only
to be restore the legacy behavior with:

   Debugger rememberExtent: false

because, as I reported to you days ago, it does not work as designed
and, as a result, has made life in the IDE unpleasant.

> I don't get this.  You've added this but I don't see it sent anywhere.

Sent by the user / developer.  It's a "undocumented preference" for
now until some fix / solution acceptable to everyone can be found.

> And what of the default 33%@95% height?  What if the display is  2560 at 1440 ?
> Isn't there some sensible maximum here?

Does it matter?  It's just for the first open, after that it'll
remember whatever you sized it to...

> I wish instead someone would extend RealEstateManager so that this all but
> essential feature is available to all system tool windows.  Yes, things need
> resetting or updating on display extent change (for example, scan,ling saved
> extents by the change in display extent).

I took a brief look and considered a "mini-project" to take your idea
further, but the development time required combined with the risk of
community rejection and low reward payback made such a consideration
totally unteneable.

> ... snip
>
> and the below is broken.  If SavedExtent is nil, it won't remember anything.  Look, is remembering the last open extent of the debugger a huge improvement or not?  I find it a huge improvement.  You've just negated that.

It isn't broken.  I apologize if my commit notes aren't clear, I tried
to make them so.  I also considered writing you a reassuring note, but
after considering that you might ignore it, too, I didn't bother.

> Look, is remembering the last open extent of the debugger a huge improvement or not?  I find it a huge improvement.  You've just negated that.  You consistently protest/alter/reject my contributions.  It's getting tedious.

Eliot, the timestamp of the Version in trunk is within 5 minutes of
the method timestamps.  I Clearly it was not tested, because it
doesn't work at all, but it's still there as you put it in.  After you
ignored my initial inquiry, the only thing I could do was make this
bypass, after which I also wrote you a long private email, which you
also ignored.

I do not wish for you to feel working with me is tedious, but I
extended way beyond normal because of who you are.  I cannot force you
to interact with me, all I can do is try to keep things peaceful by
fixing the problem without blowing up your change.  Please spend at
least that much time looking at my change, reading my commit notes, my
prior emails to you before getting upset.

Best,
  Chris