[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Tools-cmm.823.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 20:42:25 UTC 2018

Hi Eliot,

>> because, as I reported to you days ago, it does not work as designed
>> and, as a result, has made life in the IDE unpleasant.
>
> But I do not think it does.  Because you’re using SavedExtent for both the flag that enables the facility and the value, nilling SavedExtent, or leaving it nil when the class var gets added, the facility is hence off by default.  That is a change from my code which enabled the facility by default.

That was fixed by Tools-cmm.825.mcz.

> A better approach would be to set SavedExtent to a special value, such as -1 at -1, to turn off the facility, or use a distinct flag.

Well, even better, IMO, would be a simple

    shouldSaveExtent
          ^ SavedExtent notNil

for the intention-revealingness of its selector, but I was trying to
avoid sparking a method-explosion before we see whether someone wants
to step up with support you deserve, our VM developer, and re-do your
requirement properly -- integrating with RealEstateManager or
whatever.  I agree with you it would be a great feature, if it worked,
unfortunately, by opening bigger and bigger every time, it actually
creates the very problem it's trying to solve, forcing me to have to
constantly resize it.

 - Chris