[squeak-dev] squeakbyexample book/website needs love

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Jun 28 01:12:54 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 02:34:07PM -0700, tim Rowledge wrote:
> One of the online resources we've been listing in Help for a long time is the Squeak By Example book  that was available on the (duh!) squeakbyexample.org site.
>
> Sadly if you hit that URL these days you get redirected to a github repository. It's nice that all the resources are there but I can't help thinking that new users wanting to read the book might be a bit confused to find that they have to learn enough git-fu to be able to 'make' the book.
>
> Is it practical to have a pdf file provided somewhere? Or any other much simpler way to read the book?

The swiki provides a link from this page:

  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6546

And the actual link to a PDF is:

  http://pdxscholar.library.pdx.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1112&context=compsci_fac

I cannot guess if this PDF matches the latest the latest github version, or if it
matches the hardcopy that seems to be still for sale on amazon.com. But it is probably
a reasonable approximation of one of those things.

Dave