[squeak-dev] LittleSmalltalk and loading od 2004 .pr

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 22:18:47 UTC 2018

Hello

the discussion about endianness and re-saving the project brought me
to the idea of doing the following.

a) Take a Squeak 3.10.2 image such as the
http://folk.uio.no/trygver/assets/BabyIDE.zip version from Trygve Reenskaug

use an interpreter VM to open it.  (this is the VM you get when you
install it from the 'software center' in Ubuntu, i.e. the interpreter
VM.

b) start Squeak 3.10.2 with
      squeak 7179-basic.356publ.image

c) drop LittleSmalltalk.001.pr  onto the desktop of the BabyIDE
(Squeak 3.10.2) version.

d) save the project locally (I have chosen 'include change sets')
    In the Squeaklets folder there is now  LittleSmalltalk.002.pr

e) drop   LittleSmalltalk.002.pr onto the desktop of Squeak 5.2a
latest update: #18117

This now does NO LONGER bring up the endianness error message. It
brings up message which is well known in the meantime about
MethodProperties.

See this thread

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2018-June/199340.html

Change of MethodProperties. An issue were Eliot M. commented on it.

My suggestion is to make the project fully work in 3.10.2 BabyIDE,
that will allow also to create some nice diagrams.

I understand that just some files are missing in the image directory.

Then the project might be re-done it in 5.2a using the insight gained
doing the work in 3.10.2

HTH
--Hannes