[squeak-dev] A new Squeak release

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 15:35:32 UTC 2018

On Friday 02 March 2018 05:43 PM, Fabio Niephaus wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Fri, Mar 2, 2018 at 11:30 AM K K Subbu <kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
> <mailto:kksubbu.ml at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Is there a plan to spin out Squeak (the ST VM) from Squeak (the image)
>     in this (or subsequent) release cycle? or will the two releases go
>     hand-in-hand forever?
>

> I always thought it was clear that with OpenSmalltalk release, I meant
> the VMs and not a new Squeak release. But it looks like people thought I
> was talking about a new Squeak release, thus Eliot's email I guess.
> Sorry for the confusion, my bad!

The message was posted to squeak-dev, so I assumed it was about Squeak
(the image). However, the Squeak VM is not really independent of Squeak
(the image) today. Part of VM is written in Slang and translated by
Squeak. My question was really about the plans to delink VM release from
the image release cycle. When a new Squeak image is released, will it
replace the reference image used to build the VM?

With the VM code moving to git and use of CI to automate patch, build
and test cycles, a full Squeak image may be an overkill. If
OpenSmalltalk is factored out to a separate release cycle, then only a
tiny Squeak image will be required to configure and translate Slang to C.

Should this thread continue in vm-dev instead?

Regards .. Subbu