[squeak-dev] The Release process (was: Re: A new Squeak release)

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Tue Mar 6 15:29:48 UTC 2018

Hi, there.

the release manager has to update the release notes [1], our Website [2], and our CI infrastructure [3][4].

The release-specific in-image code can be found here:
ReleaseBuilder class >> #setPreferences
ReleaseBuilder class >> #configureDesktop
ReleaseBuilder class >> #configureTools
ReleaseBuilder class >> #releaseRepositoryName (! read only !)

You can tell the community about the different steps in the release process by running step1*-step3* messages in ReleaseBuilder (see category "manual -steps"). This basically changes the system version, which you have to communicate in a changed "ReleaseBuilder class >> #initialize" method to be committed to the Trunk repository.

Finally, after you updated the CI to produce release images automatically, reset the Trunk version again via "ReleaseBuilder class >> #step0AssureAlpha". Make up some new version like "6.5" or "7.0" ... which will be the current Alpha Trunk version from that point on. Or return to "6.0" if this release would be "5.2".

Most of the other stuff you find in the ReleaseBuilder is for local try-outs only. You can also take a look at the full Smalltalk CI script [5].

Best regards,
Marcel

[1] https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak-app/tree/squeak-trunk/release-notes [https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak-app/tree/squeak-trunk/release-notes]
[2] https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak.org [https://github.com/squeak-smalltalk/squeak.org]