[squeak-dev] [Documentation] Where is the most recent home page of OSProcess?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Mar 10 01:09:55 UTC 2018

On Fri, Mar 09, 2018 at 12:07:47PM -0800, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> On Thu, Mar 8, 2018 at 7:01 AM, H. Hirzel <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This is fine, thank you.
> >
> > The info has been added to the  OSProcess
> > (http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/708) page.
> >

> This exemplifies the disaster that is our online documentation.  The page
> has version inf from 2008 and talks about a 64-bit Squeak which has nothing
> to do with our current release 64-bit Squeak.  It is hopelessly misleading
> to a newbie trying to navigate our documentation. :-(

I will not presume to defend the state of the documentation, but on the plus
side, whatever I said about the 64-bit image in 2008 remains true for the Spur
64-bit image in 2018.

Under the "historical versions" section you can see that 10 years ago I said:

  Version 4 supports 64-bit and 32-bit Squeak.
  As of version 3, OSProcess provides limited support for Windows in addition to Unix/Linux.

This is still true for OSProcess 4.6.6 today, and it is equally true for for
both the old 32/64 bit formats and the new Spur 32/64 bit formats.

Scrolling all the way down to the bottom of that page, where it describes the
original "OSProcess version 0.3" release, I was amused to find this link to my
installation instructions from 1999. Check it out if you think nothing has
improved over the years :-)

 http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/710

Some of the CommandShell documentation (http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2153) is
fairly good, although I don't know if anyone reads it. Oddly enough, people
seem to figure out the poorly documented OSProcess without difficulty, but
as far as I can tell not too many people pay attention to my carefully
documented CommandShell package. I'm not sure I can explain that, maybe it
is just hard to find the pages (thanks Hannes for making it better), or maybe
nobody uses CommandShell.

Dave