[squeak-dev] Method Finder and deprecated method(s)

Tim Johnson digit at sonic.net
Sun Mar 11 18:23:09 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I seem to have stumbled into a few issues, and am taking the bold step
of including them all in a single email.  My apologies.  Tested/explored
in 6.0a-#17799.

Issues:

[1] The deprecation of SequenceableCollection>>#upTo:

[2] Removing deprecated #defaultBackgroundColor from MethodFinder

[3] MethodFinder class variable Dangerous and
MethodFinder>>#organizationFiltered:

So:

[1]

The deprecation of SequenceableCollection>>#upTo: means Method Finder
(a.k.a. Selector Browser) now pops up two modal dialogs if one enters
something like:

'deprecated '. 'method'. 'deprecated method'

...into its code entry pane and hits 'save'.

This appears to be due to the inclusion of #upTo: in
MethodFinder>>#initialize2 as a method which would be sent to a
PositionableStream... which seems reasonable.

According to ReadStream>>#readStream, a ReadStream is intended to be
polymorphic with SequencableCollection.  So, then, if #upTo: is an
intrinsic method of a Stream, does this mean it must be retained in
SequencableCollection? E.g. should it become undeprecated?

Though never until now have I thought about what it would take to use
Method Finder on a stream!  So I tried something similar to (but not
exactly) the following in a Workspace:

MethodFinder methodFor: { { 'deprecated' readStream . $c }.  'depre' }
"changed to protect the innocent user who put array braces in the wrong
place on his first attempt"

[2]

...and /another/ deprecation warning popped up:

"Object>>#defaultBackgroundColor has been deprecated. Implement
#uniformWindowColor and #customWindowColor in your model."

...#defaultBackgroundColor appears in method source 23 times, so there
are probably still a number of places where this deprecated method needs
to be engineered around :)   However, the place where it's probably
causing trouble in this case is in MethodFinder>>#initialize.  Attached
is a change set to remove it from that method.

[3]

However, there is another problem with MethodFinder>>#initialize and
#initialize2.  They both include comments at their respective ends which
call MethodFinder>>#organizationFiltered:, but that method fails due to
the class variable Dangerous being uninitialized.  The method which
initializes Dangerous, MethodFinder>>#noteDangerous, looks to be unsent.
  If I add "self noteDangerous" to one of the #initialize methods (I
added it to #initialize3 to test), this makes #organizationFiltered:
work again (after initializing MethodFinder).  Note that Dangerous is
not mentioned in the MethodFinder class comment, but other class
variables are.  I didn't do any research for how Dangerous is intended
to be useful.

Thanks for reading.

Best,
Tim