[squeak-dev] Balance of metrics

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Mar 12 18:29:08 UTC 2018

> On 12-03-2018, at 11:20 AM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> ot all have the
>> same aesthetic.
>
> Indeed.  I will continue to object to changes which move it away from
> mass-appeal and compatibility.

One thing I believe would help a bit with this (and other problems) would be a proper way to make private methods. It's just plain wrong that one can send messages that refer to code which is a part of some internal process which is not meant for 'outside' use.

Eliot & I were talking about it a while back and  IIRC thought that it would be practical these days to have an "I'm sending this message to myself" send, along with some futzing when doing lookup. With inline caching I don't think it would have any measurable effect on performance. Basically if the method is private then it simply isn't 'seen' during lookup unless the send is a self-send. Or something like that.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Furnulum pani nolo = I don't want a toaster.