[squeak-dev] VM crash upgrading via trunk from 5.1-17325 (420->421)

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 18:32:40 UTC 2018

Hi Tim,

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 11:20 AM, Tim Johnson <digit at sonic.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A full dump of SqueakDebug.log follows.  This is from trying to update
> from #421 to #422, and the lockup occurs at update-nice.422.mcm,
> "Installing Kernel-nice.1127".  It seems the lock up was indeed the result
> of a "system error.   VM: Squeak 5.0, Cog Spur VM 5.0-201803080952
>
> Note that the debug log below states my image is "Squeak6.0alpha" but that
> is because the image is renamed as such by one of the trunk updates.   The
> original image was in fact originally "Squeak5.1-16549-64bit" as downloaded
> from squeak.org.

Good.  I'm off the hook :-)  Your subject line is misleading; this is a
lock up, not a VM crash.  On Mac OS X I see the lock up but see no VM
crash.  Does it help that you can start from the 6.0alpha download (6.0alpha
<http://files.squeak.org/6.0alpha/>) instead of starting from scratch?

--
best, Eliot