[squeak-dev] The Inbox: Monticello-ul.678.mcz

Chris Muller ma.chris.m at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 00:53:57 UTC 2018

> The code includes Connection: Keep-Alive header to support servers that
> implement HTTP/1.0 only.

Great.  That just leaves the question whether the server is running
1.0 or 1.1.  I should know that..

> If you mean that these changes are unnecessary, because HTTP/1.1 already
> defaults to persistent connections, then no, they are not. With the current
> implementation, the client will close the socket once the request has
> completed, and it will open a new connection for each subsequent request.

Right.  I didn't mean to imply the change was unnecessary, I'm just
learning because I know you're an expert in this area.

> If you think the speedup is negligible, then I suggest you backport it to a
> 5.1 (or older) image (really easy, just file out the changes between
> Monticello-cmm.677 and Monticello-ul.678 and file them into the 5.1 image)
> and measure the difference in updating the image to a certain point (to
> avoid broken updates and merges).

Early versions of Magma opened a socket for each request, it was
unbearable.  It doesn't use HTTP, but fixing it to reuse the socket
made a huge improvement in resource utilization and speed, as I know
this change will for updating from trunk, too.

I need to learn HTTP best practices.