[squeak-dev] Crazy idea for a programming editor in Squeak *for C*

Fabio Niephaus lists at fniephaus.com
Thu Mar 22 13:55:13 UTC 2018

Hi all,

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 7:46 PM Tm Jhnsn <digit at sonic.net> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
>
> I would love to see this for C and/or Python.  I too think it would
> be possible and cool.

We've recently worked on adapting Squeak tools for Python and Ruby. [1]
shows for example a Squeak debugger for Python and we also have this
somewhat working for Ruby. A journal paper with more details and use cases
will be presented and published next month (see [2]). Unfortunately, the
tool adaptations are still experimental and currently undocumented which is
why we haven't released them yet. However, we are continuing this line of
work and will of course keep you updated on our progress.

[1] https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=3079368.3079402
[2]
https://2018.programming-conference.org/event/programming-2018-papers-live-multi-language-development-and-runtime-environments

> Maybe a new SHTextStyler subclass or two could come into play.  And
> Subprocess, down the line.

Fun fact: we've actually been able to use Pygments [3] as a SHTextStyler in
our prototype. :)

Best,
Fabio

[3] http://pygments.org/