[squeak-dev] Bootstrapped Squeak ( was Survey: what do you do with Squeak, what do you *want* to do?)

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Thu May 3 12:40:05 UTC 2018

On 2 May 2018 at 19:17, Edgar J. De Cleene <edgardec2005 at gmail.com> wrote:

> system be
> cool
> just the
> >>
> >> If Squeak saw some value in having a similar bootstrap,
> >> then leveraging Pharo's efforts would make sense and might result in
> >> some *known* common minimal stage (e.g. pre-GUI) between distributions.
> >> Maintenance effort could then at least be shared at that level.
> >>
> >> Such a minimal common bootstrap would probably suit being hosted under
> the
> >> OpenSmalltalk banner.
>
> This is subject which deserve a long discussion.
> No idea about which Pharo bootstrap is this, if was a Gullermo Polito on
> Candle or Pavel Krivanek on Kernel or some new.

I didn't really know enough to answer properly so I went digging to learn a
bit more.
I started another thread to avoid getting too deep in Pharo stuff here.
http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Bootstrap-familiarity-td5075568.html

I believe its based on the same system that Guille used for Candle,
but aimed at being so minimal.
A general description available in the section "Bootstrapping Pharo from
sources"...
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo

I don't follow Pharo close enough.
> But myself studying WebAssembly for one year now and building my own tools
> for dissecting .wasm and "compiling" .wast .wat S- expressions to binary.

Cool!

> Just now WebAssembly lacks GC, but at 2019 end maybe not.
> Using it we have speed and portability and is a great opportunity for build
> a system from ground , taking the Squeak legacy to XXI century and beyond.

Could be wonderful.  You've probably seen this old thread.
http://forum.world.st/WebAssembly-td4926166.html

cheers -ben