[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Collections-eem.792.mcz

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Thu May 3 20:53:25 UTC 2018

Benoit St-Jean asked:
> Are we really arguing about the use of #basicAt: and
> #basicSize right now ????  Really ?  Really ?!?!?!?
>
> These methods are there for one reason : speed.  If we
> find them "confusing", we really got a problem!

My impression had always been that these methods exist to work around
the limitation of only having "self" and "super" when you need to strip
away all polymorphism and somehow access "the base truth". That they are
also a speedy short cut is a nice side effect.

A more proper reflection mechanism would eliminate the first need for
these methods while a more sophisticated compiler would eliminate the
second need. Both of these were goals of the Self project.

-- Jecel