[squeak-dev] Squeak REPL

Craig Latta craig at blackpagedigital.com
Fri May 4 10:53:33 UTC 2018

Hi Tim--

> I'm pretty much certain I've heard of work on a 'squeak shell' too -
> which I suspect would be Craig? Am I remembering something about
> 'squish'? - but I can't find anything right now.

     Squish is a Quoth[1] app. Quoth evaluates English as Smalltalk code
(roughly as a sequence of unary messages, with mild gymnastics for
punctuation). It guides a finite state machine, invoking side-effects at
some states. It's implemented with anonymous classes that represent the
states. The original version runs over a telnet connection, and I'm
writing a WebSockets version. It's not in a public repo yet; I mostly
use Quoth for musical livecoding onstage.

     The most recent demo of Quoth is a movie[2] for the Computer Music
Journal's first special issue on musical livecoding.

     thanks,

-C

[1] http://netjam.org/quoth
[2] https://vimeo.com/50530082