[squeak-dev] Somebody buy me this ARM mega-desktop machine :-)

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Sun May 6 21:26:03 UTC 2018

> On 06-05-2018, at 2:08 PM, Craig Latta <craig at blackpagedigital.com> wrote:
>
>     Wow, that's USD 4227 today[1]...

I'm actually surprised it's that little; a few years ago I worked out  the UK inflation factor for my life up to then (maybe 6-7 years ago?) and it was a scary x17. Even scarier was the UK inflation in house prices which was just under x170!!!  Even the first house Bridget & I bought in Winchester in 1984 recently sold for 13x what we paid for it. And the entire building would fit in our current living room.

The pricing of compute power and other electronic stuff is astonishing. An ESP8266 is about the same performance as the ARM workstation from 1994 and costs roughly one tenth of what a floppy disk[*] (not the drive!) cost back then.

tim
[*] For the younger readers of this list, a floppy disk was a flexy plastic mini-frisbee coated in crushed rust that was spun round and rubbed under a magnetic sensor to provide a primitive form of digital storage. Yes, it was as silly as it sounds.
Base 8 is just like base 10, if you are missing two fingers or have an unusual number of heads