[squeak-dev] [Pharo-users] Personal Programming onPharo

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2005 at gmail.com
Wed May 9 10:23:01 UTC 2018

I have a long list on my hands, but ask community for help Trygve  have his
BabyIDE or new tools he could have in Squeak again.

Edgar
@morplenauta

On 08/05/2018, 15:06, "H. Hirzel" <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/6/18, Trygve Reenskaug <trygver at ifi.uio.no> wrote:
> I'm working on a
> programing paradigm and IDE for the personal programmer
> who wants to control
> his or her IoT. The size of the target audience I
> have in mind is >100
> million. I gave up Squeak long ago as a platform
> because they obsolete my
> code faster than I can write it.  I have now
> frozen Squeak 3.10.2 and hope
> its runtime will survive until I find a
> better foundation. My hope is that
> Pharo has a stable kernel that I can
> build on.

Hello Tryge

Good to see
> that you reconsider to use Smalltalk in 2018, this time Pharo.

Am I assuming
> correctly that you want to continue to work on your IDE
which the supports the
> DCI (Data-Context-Interaction) programming
style [1]? The IDE was called
> "BabyIDE" [2].

In 2015 you wrote to the Squeak mailing  list that you are
> abandoning
Squeak (Squeak 3.8, 4.5 or 4.6 at that time and Smalltalk as a
> whole)
in favour of JavaScript, a mainstream language. That you now at
> least
reconsider to use Smalltalk (Pharo) is an interesting result as
> it
reinforces the idea that doing things the Smalltalk way is more
promising
> than going for JavaScript directly [6].

As for loading the BabyIDE into
> Squeak: It is noteworthy that after 10
years (done around Squeak version 3.8)
> of maintaining a fork the
Squeakland (Etoys) image has been merged back into
> Squeak 6.0a trunk.
[5]

I could actually load some of your tools last year
> into Squeak 6.0a
with very modest fixes last year. [2].

It seems that
> splitting your IDE enhancements into different parts
which can be treated
> independently will probably help.

And in addition helpful would be  IMHO to
> write HOW you construct
these tools and WHY you do it. These will help people
> to maintain your
code even if the underlying system changes.

It seems
> worthwhile to try out how it goes with the most recent Squeak
version, Squeak
> 6.0a trunk [8].

Another option is to wait a few months and look for the
> bootstrap
version of Pharo 7.
All the code is in readable format on github and
> various types of
image files may be built  build from it [7].

And the third
> option is to check out if Cuis (the third Smalltalk
which runs on the
> OpenSmalltalk [3] VM) suits your needs. [4]

Kind regards

Hannes
> Hirzel

-------------------

[1] Data-Context-Interaction
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6048
[2] BabySRE
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2550
[3] http://www.opensmalltalk.org/
[4] Cuis
https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev ; there is a
> Cuis
mailing list.
[5] Etoys in 2017 http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6531
[6] Of
> course these days JavaScript cannot be avoided. But it is
preferable to
> generate it with a Smalltalk tool.
[7] The file format used in Pharo 7 is
> called Tonel (no exclamation marks!)