[squeak-dev] [Pharo-users] Personal Programming onPharo

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed May 9 18:15:11 UTC 2018

On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 1:06 PM, H. Hirzel <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/6/18, Trygve Reenskaug <trygver at ifi.uio.no> wrote:
>> I'm working on a programing paradigm and IDE for the personal programmer
>> who wants to control his or her IoT. The size of the target audience I
>> have in mind is >100 million. I gave up Squeak long ago as a platform
>> because they obsolete my code faster than I can write it.

I've been able to keep Magma updated since at least Squeak 3.6 with
only a few minor tweaks needed since then, by making sure I did not
let it depend on low-level, implementation-specific things, something
you will also want to do if you want your IDE to live past one or two
Squeak (or Pharo) releases.

>>  I have now
>> frozen Squeak 3.10.2 and hope its runtime will survive until I find a
>> better foundation. My hope is that Pharo has a stable kernel that I can
>> build on.

Not trying to draw a comparison as much as make a clarification but...
if anything, Pharo is a less stable kernel than Squeaks in this area,
because Squeak's philosophy is one that cares about backward
compatibility while Pharo (in the past, at least) actually considers
backward compatibility an inhibition to progress.

Best wishes,
  Chris