[squeak-dev] Squeak board meeting notes 2018-05-16

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Thu May 17 21:23:47 UTC 2018

> Can the ‘startup wizard’ be extended to help with making the all-in-one image not get overwritten? tim suggests Very Strongly Encouraging the user to save the image immediately so that the default image can be locked.

New users' first experience upon launching Squeak should be an
immediate commencement of their journey to discovery and wonderment,
not a tedious and meaningless (to them) message that tasks
them with some chore they couldn't possibly care about at that point.
Many would bail right then and there.  Personally, I think most users
that would use a system like this would know about files and folders
and would simply re-unzip it, but if you feel strongly the system
should hold their hand then lets actually hold it by handling it for
the user *automatically*.   A tweak to the launcher scripts included
in the All-In-One.  Simply change the script to make a copy of the
"master" and then launch the copy.  If  the copy already exists (i.e.,
from last time), launch it instead of copying it over.  Then, we
simply include a "factory-reset" script which deletes the copy.  Done.