[squeak-dev] The Trunk: Tools-mt.815.mcz

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Thu May 24 22:03:13 UTC 2018

May I recommend not having ANY blank lines in these or any methods
anywhere?  Especially methods where there is also a variable
declaration, since that puts the most-consumed part of the method text
not starting until the fourth line down.

Syntax highlighting provides the necessary visual delineations, we
don't need blank lines for that anymore.  I think blank lines make
methods harder to read, because it turns them from "single, concise,
chunks of code" into these lengthy scrolls of prose seemingly wanting
to be broken up into separate methods anyway.  If code needs a blank
line, it could probably just as well use a one-line comment there
instead, but even better than in a lot of cases would be to extract a
separate method instead with intention-revealing selector of a
comment.