[squeak-dev] [ANN] Changing the Trunk version from 6.0alpha to 5.2alpha

Fabio Niephaus lists at fniephaus.com
Sun May 27 12:58:48 UTC 2018

Hi Eliot,

On Sun, 27 May 2018 at 10:06 am, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On May 26, 2018, at 2:02 PM, Fabio Niephaus <lists at fniephaus.com> wrote:
>

> On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 6:40 PM Bernhard Pieber <bernhard at pieber.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> So it was just race condition. :-)
>>
>> Thank you for fixing the upload!
>>
>> I saw that the 5.2alpha build contains the VM with the version
>> 201804030952, which is not the latest version on Bintray (and interestingly
>> is not even in the versions list on
>> https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog).
>>

> The VMs on Bintray are removed after a few weeks to save storage costs.
> More importantly, these VMs are considered bleeding edge and I don't think
> it's a good idea to test a bleeding edge Squeak image with a bleeding edge
> VM. If something is broken, it can be really hard to tell if the problem is
> in the VM or in the image.
> The VMs that ship with the current 5.2alpha builds are from the latest VM
> pre-release which you can find at [1]. Unfortunately, the latest stable VM
> release [2] is from 2016.
>

> This is so depressing.  What's the process by which a stable VM release is
> made?  That process is broken.  We have to fix it.  2016?!?!

I recently tried to do a release because of this, but got some pushback.
Instead, I did a pre-release, so there's at least a checkpoint we can use
for Squeak. We can easily promote that pre-release to be a proper release,
we can even do a new full release today or in a few days. But I don't want
to make that decision on my own, especially because I'm not update to date
on everything that's been worked on.

Fabio