[squeak-dev] All-In-One distribution (was: Changing the Trunk version from 6.0alpha to 5.2alpha)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu May 31 04:45:37 UTC 2018

On 30 May 2018 at 07:59, Tobias Pape <Das.Linux at gmx.de> wrote:

> HI
>
> > On 30.05.2018, at 15:30, H. Hirzel <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Chris Muller
> >> Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 3:14 AM
> >
> >> AIO provides a compact example file of everything needed to deploy an
> application on each of the top platforms.  For no more than its
> instructional value, it is something worth keeping, IMO.
> >

> > The AIO _is_ the application. Good to run off a pen drive as well in a
> > platform independent way.
> >
> > It does not need to be built regularily.
> > Just for the release is fine.
>

> But the AIO is impractical.
> Eg, for OSX we _must_ force users now to _move_ the .app bundle before
> starting it the first time, else things just do not work. The only viable
> Way I see for that is building read-only disk images, so that people must
> move the app.
>
> However, nobody else can use DMGs, so we have two things already:
>  - ZIP
>  - DMG
>
> And now that snaps (https://snapcraft.io/) enter the stage for linux, we
> have at least to _consider_ that, too.
>
> And when signing comes into play, this is getting too complex for me.
>
> I completely the understand the desirability of a portable app, but given
> we;re not a near-stateless browser and given our "workforce", I don't see
> this happen reliably in the forthcoming time.
>
> Best regards
>         -Tobias

​We don't necessarily need the All-in-One, meaning one download that works
on all major platforms. It would still be cool if we can pull it off,
though. E.g. users in schools used to love Etoys-to-Go installed on a USB
stick, which would work the same plugged into a Mac at school or a PC at
home.

​We do need a VM+image bundle that works "out of the box" though. One
download, double-click, have a running image. Could be separate downloads
per platform, if that is more convenient.

​For macOS that means it should be an App bundle that includes the image,
and the whole bundle needs to be read-only. On first run it should copy
image and changes to the writeable sandbox folder and work from there.​
This should satisfy Apple's security requirements going forward.

​- Bert -

​