[squeak-dev] All-In-One distribution (was: Changing the Trunk version from 6.0alpha to 5.2alpha)

Fabio Niephaus lists at fniephaus.com
Thu May 31 11:51:45 UTC 2018

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 7:32 AM Tim Johnson <digit at sonic.net> wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> On May 30, 2018, at 5:54 AM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
>
> This topic deserves a new subject line, and it would be great to get some
> more input regarding who prefers using the All-In-One distribution for
> regular use, versus other approaches for organizing their image and VM.
>

> Thanks for the request for comments.  :)
>
> I think the AIO is neat on its own.  I sometimes use the AIO and/or app
> bundle for one-off experiments which require a quick "download-n-go"
> experience where I expect to throw away any changes.
>
> But for Mac users, I'm afraid the AIO and especially the .app bundle take
> too prominent a place on the website compared to the more traditional VM &
> sources + image & changes combination, which takes a few extra clicks to
> discover.  I say this because there is AFAIK hardly any in-image or in-VM
> support for the "work style" imposed by the AIO / .app bundle on OS X /
> macOS.
>
> For example:  new users working with the AIO / app bundle may try "save
> as..." or "save as new version..." from the world menu and be surprised
> when any changes they thought they'd saved are gone the next time they run
> the AIO.  This is because, AFAIK, the AIO / .app bundle work style has no
> in-image support (or in-VM support) for loading any image other than the
> one bundled within an AIO / app bundle.  IIRC there have been discussions
> on the mailing list about adding this support (say, making the .app bundle
> load the highest successive .1 .2 .3 image inside the bundle, as created by
> "save as new version...") but I don't know if any changes ever were
> implemented.  Forgive me if they have, and I missed it!

We probably need a list of images that are available in an AIO bundle and a
manager that allows users to remove certain images. Another way of fixing
this would be to remove the "Save as" option in AIO bundles all together.
Or we could replace it with an "Export as" option that saves the
image/changes outside the AIO to avoid any confusion, but then users might
not know what to do with those files.

Fabio