[squeak-dev] WorldMenuProvider ? (was Re: The Trunk: Help-Squeak-CorePackages-mt.3.mcz)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu May 31 12:17:31 UTC 2018

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 07:57:26AM +0200, H. Hirzel wrote:

> On 5/31/18, tim Rowledge <tim at rowledge.org> wrote:
> >

> >> On 30-05-2018, at 4:51 PM, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Not by the core system, it's something for external applications to
> >> provide their own World menu.
> >
> > OK. So yet another probably good idea made near invisible by lack of
> > explanations and examples. To quote a prominent tweeter - "Sad"
> >

> > tim
> > --
> > tim Rowledge; tim at rowledge.org; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
> > Managing programmers is like herding cats.
> >

> How would a simple example look like?
>
> - the code and
> - the explanation
>
> to  include in the the Help System?

Good idea. And a small update to the class comment would easily resolve
the confusion. I do not know the background, but the method stamps show
that Romain Robbes is the author, and SqueakMap shows that Romain did
quite a few externally maintained projects:

 http://map.squeak.org/accountbyid/d04df2d7-a433-4475-8bc8-64c6098ef404

The class comment currently says this:

	I define services and categories:
	- The world menu category (identifier:  world), where services and categories can be put to be displayed in the world menu.
	- The preferencesMenu category, where services about services and preferences can be put
	- th open menu

So an update might look something like this (but I do not know if I have
this right, so please help):

	I define services and categories to enable applications to provide a customized world menu:
	- The world menu category (identifier:  world), where services and categories can be put to be displayed in the world menu.
	- The preferencesMenu category, where services about services and preferences can be put
	- the open menu

And if someone could provide an example code snippet to add to the comment
or to a class side method in WorldMenuProvider, that would be great.

Dave