[squeak-dev] Squeak and Tesseract

Edwin Ancaer eancaer at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 10:43:52 UTC 2018

Hello list,

As I'm looking at a way to automate the search of documents in my humble
administration, I read some articles about OCR. I came along an article
about using Python with Tesseract, to transform an scan of a document into
text, that is searchable.

My question now is if I can do something similar with Squeak. To my
inexperienced eye, it seems like I should use FFI to call the functions in
the Tesseract API, but this API is in  C++, and I don't know if it is
possible to use FFI to call C++ functions?

Or should I forget the API and use OSProcess to start the tesseract
program?

Could anyone point me in the right direction, or just tell  if the whole
idea is insane?
But if it can be done in Python....

Thanks in advance,

Edwin Ancaer.