[squeak-dev] [ANN] Guardians

Ben Coman btc at openinworld.com
Fri Nov 9 05:35:32 UTC 2018

On Thu, 8 Nov 2018 at 08:41, Stéphane Rollandin <lecteur at zogotounga.net>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks to all the good people that helped having a working Squeak3D
> plugin for recent VM, I am pleased to announce the release of a game I
> started in 2005 and then let kind of forgot, a remake of The Sentinel
> from 1986 (I used to play this one a lot). It is a Wonderland
> application, and it works in a 5.1 image. Nice:)
>
> So here it is:
> http://www.zogotounga.net/comp/guardians.htm
>
> Still in beta, since I have experimented a fair share of VM crashes, but
> very much playable. See the above page for instructions.

Some feedback on the gameplay.

1. After transfer to a robot the view direction is reversed so you are
looking at the robot you just came from to make it quicker to absorb.
But it doesn't reverse the height vector, so if you build a high tower of
boulders, its annoying and time consuming to arrow down to view the
previous robot.

2. It would be nice to see the robot starting position on the rotating
level overview.
What I find myself doing on a new level is entering a game just to have a
look around to determine the staring position,
then <Escape> back to the level overview to plan a strategy,

3. The arrow keys are a long way from the other main action keys  R, A, B
when my right hand is on the mouse.
its might be nice to have S, E, F C are the navigation keys.  Then my hand
won't have to keep jumping around the keyboard.

4. Even better would be looking around using a right-click-drag.

5. A key to look directly at sentinels would be nice.
After transferring to a new robot the first thing I want to do is check my
visibility to the sentinel.
If the transfer was steeply up/down it can be disorientating and time
consuming to find the sentinel.

cheers -ben