[squeak-dev] Message>>#= & Message>>#hash

Levente Uzonyi leves at caesar.elte.hu
Tue Nov 20 22:33:17 UTC 2018

To make things more clear, the current implementation of Behavior >> #hash
has two negative side effects:
- behaviors stored in collections relying on the hash value (e.g. Set,
Dictionary) will have to be rehashed whenever a behavior is renamed
- objects using Behavior >> #hash to implement their own #hash, like what
Eliot just did to Message will suffer from the same issue. So Sets and
Dictionaries holding those kind of objects will have to be rehashed as
well upon the rename of the behavior.

My questions related to this:
- why does Behavior >> #hash rely on the name instead of identity?
- do we want to fix those issues mentioned above or do we just say that
one should not rename classes and expect things to work?

Levente